Unity Spiritual Center of Lansing is a spiritual tithing community. This means we donate 10% of all income to sources of our spiritual inspiration as a way of acknowledging that God is our one and only Source which comes to us through many channels. We tithe to various Unity organizations – Silent Unity, Unity Worldwide Spiritual Institute, Unity Worldwide Ministries, Great Lakes Region of Unity Churches and sometimes to specific Unity churches. We also tithe to organizations that bless and inspire us with their work.
In 2017 you voted to have a portion of Unity Spiritual Center of Lansing's tithes to the Capitol Human Society, Homeless Angels, Metapeace and Sparrow Hospice. Donations were also made to City Rescue Center and Justice in Mental Health. In 2018, you chose Meals on Wheels, Ronald McDonald House, The Foodbank, Justince in Mental Health and Allen Street Neighborhood.
Now it's time to submit your choices for 2019 recipients.
HELP US to GIVE to OUR COMMUNITY
What local charitable organization blesses you? Where do you see Spirit at work through the work offered by another organization, the blessings they bring to our world, the way they express our Oneness.
Nominate this organization to become one of Unity’s tithing recipients.
Nomination forms available on the Activities Table CLICK HERE to download nomination form
CLICK HERE to download copy of guildines
Guidelines for Nominations for Congregants’ Choice
- A charitable organization
- Preferably local
- The work done by this organization reflects the mission, vision and core values of Unity Spiritual Center of Lansing
How to Nominate a Charitable Organization as a
2019 Congregants’ Choice for Tithing
- Fill out a Congregants’ Choice Nomination Form by January 20th. Submit it to the church office.
- Create a poster that tells about the organization. This can be posted on in the sanctuary anytime prior to February 3rd.
- On February 3rd, make yourself available to answers questions about your nomination and campaign for votes!
On Sunday, February 3rd, every congregant present will have 3 votes on which charities we will tithe to this year. The top 3 choices will receive 20% of our tithes for 3 months. At the end of the 3 months, we will invite a representative of the charity to a Sunday service to receive a check and tell us a little bit about their work. We would also consider partnering with them on one of their projects – e.g. a walk, etc.
During of the fourth quarters in 2019, we will split the tithe among the remaining nominees. Everyone “wins” and we become a powerful force for good in our larger Lansing community!
SAMPLE NOMINATION FORM Click here to download a copy
CONGREGANTS’ CHOICE NOMINATION FORM 2019
Name of Organization ________________________________________________
Phone Number ___________________________________________________
Contact Person ___________________________________________________
Name of Person nominating this organization ___________________________
Your email or contact info ___________________________________________
Brief Description of Work of the organization and why you are nominating them as a tithe recipient. (You can use a separate sheet of paper if needed.)
How does the work of this organization support Unity Spiritual Center of Lansing’s Mission of “spiritually awakening to our Oneness with God, each other and with all creation”?
Which USCL Core Values does their work promote? (circle those that apply)
Spiritual Awakening Freedom Integrity Joyfulness
Inclusivity Stewardship Prayer
Additional Comments (e.g. how have they inspired you? Or personal experience with organization’s work)
CONGREGATION'S CHOICE POLICY FOR AWARDING THE TITHES AND ELIGIBILITY (click here)
Congregants’ Choice Policy
(Approved by BOT April 2018)
- Congregants can nominate a local 501(c)3 charitable organization whose core values are in alignment with Unity Spiritual Center of Lansing.
- “Local” is defined as within the geographic parameters of our congregation.
- “Congregant” is any USCL attendee. They do not need to be a voting member of the congregation.
- 2. Each organization nominated will be vetted by the minister to insure they are in alignment with USCL’s Core Values.
3. To nominate an organization, the nominator, with the permission of the nominee, completes a nomination form and submits it prior to the third Sunday in January. Nominators are also required to make a poster featuring their nominee. These will be used for educating and for voting.
- The top three recipients cannot be nominated for one year.
- If fewer than four (4) organizations are nominated, the Leadership Council will recommend recipients for the remaining Congregants’ Choice tithes. This could include past recipients.
- Voting will take place on the first Sunday of February following the Celebration Service.
- The three organizations receiving the highest number of votes each get 2% of USCL tithes for a three-month period. The fourth quarter (October, November, December) is divided among all the other nominees.
- If an organization receives one of the three highest votes, the nominator will arrange for a representative to speak about their charitable work for approximately three minutes at a Sunday service and receive their check. Preferably, this happens in the month following the three months of tithes assigned to them.